Case study: The 'most significant' event in the world's largest indoor rainforest

The Anthropy event was created to inject optimism and positive action into the country’s leaders.



Enduring a turbulent and unprecedented few years post Covid-19, Brexit, and mid cost of living crisis, Britain needed something big to genuinely drive change and bring people together during a time of growing concern. 

John O’Brien MBE (Founder of Anthropy) wanted to inject optimism and positive action into the country’s leaders so he created the concept of Anthropy. The main objectives were to unite leaders to work towards a vision for Britain which is more positive, sustainable, equitable and successful as well as being a launchpad for real change.


The inaugural event was held from 2–4 November 2022. For the first time, the renowned Eden Project in Cornwall closed its doors to the public for three days and welcomed 1,000 ‘Anthropists’ to ideate, debate and collaborate on crucial topics from education and health to sustainability, technology and media. 

Chosen for its significance, not its convenience, Eden Project was an inspiring venue – itself an example of regeneration and hope as the world’s largest indoor rainforest standing in what was once a disused quarry! 

Every inch of the site was used, hosting sessions in every corner of the Rainforest and Mediterranean biomes, every classroom, the Tipi, and the Visitor Centre. 

  • 450 speakers including Sadiq Kahn, Rachael Reeves, Sir Tim Smit, Piers Linney, Kamal Ahmed, Mary Portas, Lord Hastings, Dame Julia Cleverdon, Rita Clifton CBE, Sir Anthony Seldon and Annamarie Phelps CBE participated in 184 sessions, hosted across 14 stages over the three days making it the UK’s largest ever crowd sourced agenda.

  • Senior stakeholders of major organisations attended including EY, Omnicom, Natwest, Unilever, KPMG, Greggs, Timpsons, Schneider Electric, Environment Agency, Ipsos, Page Group, Volvo, Ella’s Kitchen and many others.

  • Young people, charities and renowned youth partners attended, including Youth Futures and One Young World.

  • Anthropy took place in November purposefully, to help boost the local economy in Cornwall out of season. Anthropy generated 3,200+ bedroom nights, purchased and supplied locally produced food and wine, and kept taxi firms very busy! Local event students also fulfilled key onsite roles, providing valuable work experience.

  • Sustainable delivery where possible (as measured by Trace by isla) - 45.2% assets made from reclaimed materials, 72.5% of all materials produced were reused or repurposed, remaining 27.5% recycled, 69% guest, VIP and crew meals vegetarian / vegan, 21% chicken / fish, 10% beef / lamb.


The event achieved over one billion in media reach, made a splash online reaching over 20million users and forms the basis for a framework being presented at the House of Lords in March 2023, which will drive real change in Britain.

  • 17.5k app connection requests were made between ‘Anthropists’

  • 110+ pieces of coverage incl The Guardian, The Times & The Financial Times

  • The first event was so successful sponsors are already signed on for 2023 and TRO have just been appointed as Anthropy’s delivery partner for the next three years

  • 2023 dates have just been announced 1 - 3 of November.


John O’Brien MBE (Founder of Anthropy) – “TRO was my chosen delivery partner for what is being recognised as the most significant post-Covid pandemic gathering of cross sector leaders concerned about the future of Britain. They were incredibly flexible on a host of matters, continually stepped forwards to solve issues beyond their brief and used their creativity and imagination not just to bring Anthropy to life, but to do so on behalf of the many additional stakeholders and sponsors."